Ender's Game
Right now in literature class, we are reading a book named "Ender's Game." I think this is an amazing book and I really enjoy reading it. The author's word choice really impressed me because just by reading the book, we can have a good image in our heads of what's happening. Every movement and expression any character makes, we can know it very clearly since the words are well-put-together. Also, when you start reading it, you won't want to stop because the plot of the book gets more and more exciting. The part that I like the best is when Ender plays mind games and got to Fairyland because he jumped into the Giant's eyes. At first, people at the International Fleet didn't think that he would have got that far, and didn't think he would jump into the giant's eyes, but his intelligence suggested that it's possible for him to do things that people think are impossible.1) Compare what you have seen or read in the Ender's Game book to whatever you have seen in the movie. Can you say a few differences in a scene or in the whole thing? What are some things the movie can do that the book cannot easily do? Or what are some things the book does better, in your opinion?
The book explains things clearer than the movie. When Ender was fighting with Stilson, the bully, he kicked Stilson in his breastbone, in the ribs, and in the crotch, but in the movie, Ender only hit Stilson in the face, and kicked his stomach. In my opinion, the movie can emphasize the feelings, expressions and the character's feelings better than the book. On the other hand, the book lets us understand every movement of the characters clearly since the movie isn't able to show everything from the book.
So, I prefer the reading the book to watching the movie.
2) Oh - all right. I want to ask you a harder question, so let's get to it. There are number of THEMES in Ender's Game that keep coming up. So we may as well get you thinking about them now. Again, you can post about this here and come back later and update it, but first, there are online lists of the themes, like at Spark Notes and Shmoop, but I like the second one at Shmoop better. Notice the hyperlink I put there the second time I wrote "Shmoop" - can teach you how to do it in the computer lab Tuesday. Anyway, let's pay attention to two of those themes:
A) Manipulation - Why do adults always seem to lie to Ender in the story? Do you think adults always do this in real life? Is lying to people, especially younger people, a helpful thing?
Adults seem to lie to Ender probably because they know that Ender has a soft heart, and if they tell him the truth, he might not want to be the leader and kill a whole species. I think the reason adults are more likely to lie to younger people is because they don't want them to know too many things that they don't need to face at young ages. Also, the more truth you know, the harder your life is going to be.
B) Competition - What is the purpose of organizing the young people into "armies" and having them fight each other in groups at battle school? Do you think competition against classmates is helpful?
I think they organize the young people into "armies" because when we compete with each other, we can improve our weak skills and at the same time, know how to use skills that we are better at to win the competition. To me, competing against classmates can make us cooperate with each other. However, when relationships between you and another person fade, it's not really a helpful thing anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment